150 Years of Healthcare, Innovation, Leadership
It’s our Sesquicentennial!
- 1872 – Winnipeg General Hospital (WGH) was established.
- 1973 – WGH merged with Children’s Hospital of Winnipeg and The Manitoba Rehabilitation Hospital–D.A. Stewart Centre (Respiratory Hospital) to become Health Sciences Centre Winnipeg (HSC).
The establishment of WGH and then HSC were major milestones that have shaped healthcare in Manitoba and influenced healthcare advances throughout Canada and the world.
The citizens of 1872 Winnipeg volunteered their efforts to establish a much-needed hospital. Thanks to the generosity of dozens of benefactors, new buildings were erected. After struggling to find a permanent location, WGH occupied the first structure on its permanent site in 1875. The early buildings were the nucleus of an area in the heart of Winnipeg that eventually became a campus for healthcare. Dedicated doctors, nurses, and other caregivers offered healing and hope. Specialized services emerged, training institutions were founded, and older structures were replaced by more modern facilities.
In 1973 HSC was established on this foundation of 100 years of healthcare leadership and innovation. HSC has since grown to be one of the largest tertiary healthcare facilities in Canada – a referral, teaching and research institution serving residents of Manitoba, Northwestern Ontario, and Nunavut. Today, HSC is Manitoba’s provincial centre for trauma, transplants, burns, neurosciences, complex cancer care, and hospital-based pediatric care. Dedicated staff, volunteers and benefactors continue to support and grow services at the hospital to meet the growing and evolving healthcare needs of our populations.
In 2000, HSC amalgamated with the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA) and became an operating division of the WRHA. On April 5, 2019, HSC Winnipeg transitioned from WRHA to Shared Health to become a Shared Health facility.