Spiritual Health practitioners are available to support patients and their loved ones.
Spiritual Health Services can assist you in connecting with your inner strengths and hope in the face of illness, fear, discouragement and loss, or threat of loss. We respectfully support the needs of all – whether you identify as spiritual, atheist, religious or agnostic.
As part of the care team, Spiritual Health Practitioners accompany patients, families and staff who are:
- Struggling to cope with illness, loss, trauma and questions of meaning and hope.
- Experiencing grief/bereavement, dramatic change, issues of identity
- Lacking community or family support
- Requesting specific services (ceremonies, sacraments, rituals) or support (e.g. priest, elder, rabbi, imam)
If you would like a Spiritual Health Practitioner to visit you, call us directly, or ask the nurse to contact Spiritual Health office.
There is no charge for Spiritual Health Services.
|Location||Green Owl Zone, Level 2 (GF 214)|
|Hours||Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.|
|Contact paging (204-787-2071) to request an On-Call Spiritual Health Practitioner|
The Sanctuary in Magenta Fox Zone, Level 2 remains open 24/7 and can accommodate one person at at time.
There are three sanctuaries at HSC, which are open 24 hours a day as places of quiet and reflection. The main sanctuary in Green Owl Zone, Level 2 has a labyrinth for walking meditation.
- Green Owl Zone, Level 2 (GH216)
- Magenta Fox Zone, Level 2 (RR215)
- HSC Winnipeg Women’s Hospital, 665 William Ave (Level 4)
Sanctuaries in Green Owl Zone and HSC Women’s are equipped for smudging ceremonies. If you would like to smudge, contact Spiritual Health Services (204-787-3884) to book a time.
If you would like a visit from an Elder please contact WRHA Central Intake at 204-940-8880.
Scattering of Ashes
To support all families who are grieving the loss of a baby, HSC Winnipeg has adapted its annual Scattering of Ashes ceremony to provide families with the ability to host their own private service in honour of their baby. Scattering of Ashes ceremonies have been recorded and are available at these links:
- Scattering of Ashes Ceremony 2021 (Facebook)
- Families may download the May 2021 ceremony program
- Scattering of Ashes Ceremony 2020 (Vimeo)
- Families may download the October 2020 ceremony program to host their own service to honour their baby in a place of their choosing
Loss of a loved one
Caring is at the heart of what it means to be human. Our staff would like to offer you our condolences on the death of your loved one. How deeply this loss affects you is beyond our ability to know. Grief takes many forms and will move in its own time and you and your family members will experience many strong emotions. Be patient with yourself and others and find people and places where you can share your story and express your grief.
This document provides some practical resources that may be of use to you and your family during this time.
Spiritual Health Calendar
Scheduled sessions will begin April 1, 2022
HSC Sanctuary – Green Owl Zone, Level 2 (Room GH214)
|Session & Location||Day||Time|
|Meditation Session||Every Monday||12:00 PM|
|Christian Gathering||Every Tuesday||11:30 AM|
|Roman Catholic Mass||Every Wednesday||12:00 PM|
|Islamic Community Prayer||Every Friday||12:30 PM|
|Morning Reflection||Weekdays||8:30 AM|
HSC Women’s Hospital – Level 4, Sanctuary (Room 4205) & Ceremonial Room (Room 4209)
|Session & Location||Day||Time|
|Christian Gathering||Every Wednesday||12:00 PM|
|Islamic Community Prayer||Friday (1st, 3rd, 4th of the month)||12:30 PM|
Everyone is welcome.
Note: Sessions will not be held on holidays.
- Scattering of Ashes (May & October)
- Ash Wednesday
- Remembrance Day (November 11)
- Hanukkah Menorah Lighting