For serious and life-threatening health issues, call 911 for an ambulance or go to the nearest emergency department.

Adult Emergency

(for patients 17 years or older)
700 William Avenue

Sexual Assault/Intimate Partner Violence Examiner

(for all ages and genders)

Health Links – Info Santé

204-788-8200 or toll-free 1-888-315-9257

Manitoba Poison Centre


Children’s Emergency

(for all patients 16 years or younger)
700 William Avenue

Save yourself a trip – and a potentially long wait – by seeking the right care provider for your child. Mild cold and flu symptoms may be assessed by a primary care provider or clinic instead of an emergency department. View the #KnowWhereToGo tab below for more information.

HSC Winnipeg provides emergency and specialized care, 24-hours a day, seven days a week. For emergencies, go to 700 William Avenue, and report to the Triage Desk.

When should I go to Emergency?

  • stroke / facial or extremity weakness
  • heart attack / chest pain
  • major trauma
  • severe head injury
  • severe difficulty breathing
  • severe allergic reaction or burn
  • amputation
  • unconsciousness
  • severe bleeding
  • deep cut
  • foreign body in the eyes or ears
  • high fever
  • signs of serious infection

When should I go to Urgent Care?

  • illnesses or injuries that cannot wait for you to see your family doctor
  • fevers, flu symptoms, rashes, or infections
  • dehydration
  • cuts that won’t stop bleeding
  • injured limb that might be broken or sprained
  • any other urgent, but not life-threatening conditions

If you are not sure where to go for care, visit

#KnowWhereToGo for children’s cold and flu symptoms

While HSC Winnipeg’s Children’s Emergency Department specializes in pediatric medicine, parents and caregivers with children in need of urgent medical attention can visit any Winnipeg emergency department, urgent care centre, or call 911 any time.  

HSC Children’s Emergency often sees a large number of patients with mild respiratory symptoms that could be treated by a primary care provider or in a Walk-in Connected Care Clinic.

Save yourself a trip – and a potentially long wait – by knowing where to go for the right care for your child. Other than seeking medical care, it’s important that children stay home when they’re sick to avoid spreading viruses.

Health Links – Info Santé: 204-788-8200 or toll-free at 1-888-315-9257

This free service is available 24/7 with nurses who can assess and provide advice on where to go.

Your primary care provider (family physicians, nurse practitioner) or home clinic can provide you with advice and often, a same-day/next-day appointment.

Doctor/Clinic/Primary Care – Weekdays

During respiratory virus season, your child may experience common cold/flu symptoms. As long as symptoms are not emergent or urgent, they may be assessed by a primary care provider or clinic.

Mild symptoms may include:

  • Fever or chills
  • Nasal congestion or runny nose
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Fatigue
  • Headache
  • Muscle aches or body aches
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Poor appetite
  • New loss of taste or smell
  • Belly pain

After Hours and Weekends – Winnipeg
  • McGregor Walk-in Connected Care Clinic- 363 McGregor Street
    • 204-940-1963 – call ahead to confirm hours or check wait times
      • Monday – Friday: Noon – 7:30 p.m.
      • Saturday, Sunday and Holidays: 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Access Fort Gary Walk-in Connected Care Clinic- 135 Plaza Drive
    • 204-940-7100 – call ahead to confirm hours or check wait times
      • Monday – Friday: 9 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
      • Saturday: 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Emergency Department / 911 – 24 hours a day/7 days a week                 

Call 911 or go to your closest Emergency Department if your child has any of the following symptoms:                                   

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Periods of holding breath/not breathing/slowed breathing
  • Increased breathing (more than 60 breaths per minute)
  • Excessively tired or difficult to wake up
  • Sudden confusion
  • Change in colour of nail beds, hands, lips, or face
  • Inconsolable infants – crying that won’t stop or is painful sounding
  • Not peeing
  • Poor feeding – refusing or unable to eat or drink
  • Infant younger than 3 months with a fever, or anyone with a fever that does not come down with medication
COVID-19 testing

Public health officials strongly urge anyone who has cold or flu-like symptoms, such as a cough, fever, runny nose, sore throat, headache, or any of the symptoms listed in the online screening tool to isolate and get tested for COVID-19. By getting your child tested, you are helping to keep your family and community healthy. If your child gets tested for COVID-19, they should continue to isolate – other than to seek medical care – until you receive the test results.

Use Manitoba’s online screening tool to find out if you should get your child tested for COVID-19.

What to expect inside the Emergency Department

What to bring

  • Your Manitoba Health information
  • Your family doctor’s name
  • Any medications you are taking. If you can’t bring them, know the name of the medication.

Inside Adult or Children’s Emergency

  • A member of our Security team will greet you and ask if you are at HSC for emergency care. They will also ask you to sanitize your hands.
  • You will go to the Registration Desk to be registered as a patient. We will ask for information such as your name, date of birth, next of kin and health card number. Whenever possible you will see a Triage Nurse at the same time. If you have been registered but still need to be triaged, you will be given a green bracelet.
  • The Triage Nurse will ask how you are feeling, take your temperature and blood pressure. This determines how quickly you need to be seen. People with life-threatening injuries and illnesses need to be seen first. Some patients may be arriving by ambulance through a separate entrance.
  • You will be given a white hospital identification bracelet (red bracelet if you have an allergy) and / or a blue bracelet if you are going to be seen in the Minor Treatment Area (MTA).
  • You will be asked to take a seat in the waiting room until you are called to see a doctor, nurse or nurse practitioner. If you start to feel worse while you are waiting, tell a staff member.
  • A staff member will check the status of everyone in the waiting room every hour.
  • If you have to step out of the Emergency Department for any reason (e.g. to move your car), please tell a staff member so we know you have not decided to leave without being treated. Let us know when you are back.
  • You will be called and taken into a treatment area where doctors, nurses and other support staff will care for you. You may be sent for tests (e.g. an x-ray) and we may take blood and urine samples. You may need to wait for results.
  • Depending on the nature of your illness or injury, you may need to see a specialist, be treated in the Emergency Department or be admitted to hospital. You may need to wait on a bed in the Emergency Department until a room is available.

For more information, view our brochure.

Sexual Assault/Intimate Partner Violence Program (SA/IPV)

204-787-2071 – Ask for the Sexual Assault/Intimate Partner Violence Examiner or report to Adult or Children’s Emergency

The Sexual Assault/Intimate Partner Violence Program (SA/IPV) is a group of specially trained female nurses who provide treatment 24-hours a day, seven days a week to people of any gender, aged 14 and older, who have been sexually assaulted or recently assaulted by their intimate partner (sexually and/or physically).

Pediatric and adolescent patients (under the age of 14) are seen by specialized physicians from the Child Protection Centre (CPC). Treatment is available 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

We provide options and choices about medical care and/or police reporting. We provide medications to prevent infection and pregnancy. We connect you with counselling services and community resources if you choose. Our goal is to provide you with the information you need to make choices that are best for you.

What is sexual assault?

The terms “Sexual Assault” and “rape” may be used interchangeably.

Sexual assault is:

  • an act of violence or aggression involving a sexual attack – the act can be verbal, emotional, or physical
  • touching in a sexual way without permission, including if you were asleep, unconscious, high or drunk
  • forced kissing or fondling
  • forced oral, anal or vaginal intercourse

The person who assaulted you may be a stranger, friend, partner, or acquaintance.

What is Intimate Partner Violence (Domestic Violence)?

Intimate Partner Violence (also referred to as Domestic Violence) is when one person in a relationship tries to dominate and/or control the other person through actual or threatened physical, sexual, psychological, emotional, or financial abuse.

Intimate Partner Violence can happen to people in all types of relationships. It can happen to people of any gender race, culture, and age.

What should I do if I am sexually assaulted or abused?

  • Go to a safe place
  • Call 911 or your local police if you believe you are still in danger
  • Go to a hospital, clinic, or nursing station as soon as possible for medical care
  • Tell someone you trust (a friend, relative, or Elder)

What happens if I go to the hospital?

You will receive medical help. A specialized health-care provider will meet with you and talk about options for receiving care.

  • When you report to an emergency department or urgent care, you will visit the triage desk and be asked why you have come to hospital
  • The SA/IPV Team, or CPC (depending on the age of the patient), will be consulted and be at the hospital to see you as soon as possible
  • You will be able to have a support person stay with you
  • Care teams (in the emergency department or another unit of the hospital depending upon your care needs) will provide you with appropriate care
  • When your medical needs have been met, a specially trained health-care provider (nurse, physician, nurse practitioner) will meet with you to discuss your options. An exam, testing and treatment will be offered
  • If you decide to have police involved, we will assist you with the process and your specialized provider may be able to collect evidence. Reporting to police will remain your choice
  • You will be provided with information and/or connections to follow-up or wrap-around supports available in the community

Where will I stay while at HSC?

After you have been triaged, your care needs will be met in the most appropriate location. HSC has a comfortable, private, and safe location for forensic examinations to occur and care teams will work to offer patients a private location to use during any wait.

You Are Not Alone: A walk-through of SA/IPV services

Additional resources

Health Links – Info Santé

If you are unsure what to do about your health issue or if you need health information, Health Links – Info Santé is staffed by bilingual registered nurses 24/7, 365 days of the year.

Call 204-788-8200 or toll-free 1-888-315-9257.

Manitoba Poison Centre

Call 911 or 1-855-776-4766 if you or your child have been exposed to a dangerous substance.

You can call our team of poison experts at the Manitoba Poison Centre 24 hours a day, every day of the year, if you think that you or someone you love has been exposed to a dangerous substance. Our specialists in poison information will give you advice on whether the patient needs to seek medical attention, as well as what symptoms to watch for and how to treat the exposure.

For more information, visit manitobapoison.ca or call 1-855-776-4766.

HSC Foundation logo
Children's Hospital Foundation logo
Transplant Manitoba logo
Skip to content